Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken Pot Pie
1 pound chicken breast cubed
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas
2 medium red potatoes (this wasn't in the original recipe but we like potatoes in it)
1/2 cup sliced celery (I didnt have so I didnt use)
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup chopped onion (I didnt have so I used 2 large cloves garlic)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed (didnt have so used some rosemary and basil)
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (didnt have so used 1 3/4 cups water with 2 bouillon cubes)
2/3 cup milk

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a saucepan combine chicken, carrots, peas, celery and potatoes. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked and vegetables are still crisp but slightly tender (I left my chicken breast whole so I cooked it until it was almost done and then added the vegetables so they wouldn't get too cooked). Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onions until soft and translucent (this is when I had put in the garlic and cooked until it was nice and fragrant). Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed (I stirred in the flour and added the salt pepper and herbs later). Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk (this is when I added pepper and herbs- didn't need salt because I used bouillon). Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in the bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape. (I also put an egg wash on the top crust and edges so it would get a nice golden brown color- definitely recommend doing).
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: