Thursday, November 4, 2010

Italian Sausage and pepper sandwiches on homemade hoagies

So this morning while trying to decide what to eat I went through the freezer. We had already had chicken like 3 days in a row so that was out and I wasn't really like eating beef that only left italian sausage. Well, I tried searching for a new recipe that uses italian sausage. Nothing sounded great. So I decided to just go to my standby recipe for italian sausage, sandwiches. Only problem was that I did not have hoagie rolls. My kids were on one today so there was no way I was venturing to the store by myself with them so back to the computer to find a recipe, and I did. I altered it a bit to what I thought would be good and they turned out great! I was pleasantly surprised! And honestly, they probably took me less time to make then had I gone to the store (thats excluding rise time, but they are still a super easy bread to make). Okay, heres the recipe:

Hoagie Rolls (makes about 6-8):
1 package yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp bulk yeast)
1 1/2 cups of water divided
1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tbl salt
4-4 1/4 cups flour

1 egg white
1 tablespoon water

In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add in 1/2 tablespoon sugar. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
Add remaining water and sugar. Beat in oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour until smooth. I then switched the attachment on my kitchen aid to the dough hook and Stirred in enough flour to form a soft dough. Let mix on medium for a couple of minutes (this helps cut down on the time you need to knead it).
Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (you should be able to pull it a bit before it breaks)
Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured board and divide into 6-8 pieces.
Shape into an oval. You can kind of flatten them down a little bit so you get the nice oval shape. They will puff up nicely I promise!
Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
Mix eggwhite and water well. Brush onto the rolls and then bake immediately at 400 degrees for 13-18 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool (the egg whites give the hoagie that crustier crust).

Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
4 italian sausages
1 onion halved and then sliced
1 green bell pepper sliced
1 tsp oil

Cook italian sausages until done (I put mine in a pan with a bit of water and let them cook that way). Remove from the pan. I usually do this all in the same pan, but usually wash it before the next step.
Heat oil in pan until hot. Add in bell pepper and onion. Cook until almost soft and carmelized. While that is cooking, slice the italian sausages length wise. Add to the onions and italian sausages so that the sausage can get slightly crispy. Serve on rolls and we like it with mustard.

No comments: